Sunday, March 14, 2010

I installed a new vanity. Can a clog cause water to leak out of a vent pipe.?

Hello nice people,


While installing my new bathroom vanity, I noticed that the drain pipe was clogged with nasty sludge and dirt. I'm surprised that any water at all had traveled down the old drain without backing up. I used a cheap homeowner model power-snake ("snake-it") to clean the drain. I fed approximately 4 to 5 feet of snake into the drain to break up the clog.





Now that I connected the new vanity, the water drains very slowly and appears to be leaking from the toilet vent pipe that is below in the downstairs kitchen ceiling.





Could water be traveling up and over to the old lead toilet vent pipe due to a clog in the vanity drain? Should I try feeding more snake into the vanity drain?





Thank you for letting me bounce this off of you.





Michael

I installed a new vanity. Can a clog cause water to leak out of a vent pipe.?
just a guess because i cant see it but if your vent to your vanity is clogged then it'll drain slowly, and if you punctured the pipe below with the snake then that would make it leak
Reply:Chances are (just "chances" since no one can know exactly what happened) that your new jiffy power snake has now crammed 4 or 5 feet of gunk into tight clump and in the process of doing this the rattling, shaking and vibration from the snaking process exposed a weak joint in the system.





One other thing to check, make sure you didn't get any putty in the over flow inlets at the drain, if they get clogged, sometimes that will cause the sink to drain slowly . . . .



pale skin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

clogs Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting